Skip to main content
Farm King County
Permitting Infrastructure

Infrastructure Permitting

The backbone of a farm operation is its working infrastructure. Whether maintaining a road, building a barn, grading new pastureland, clearing ditches, replacing drainage tiles, or building a farm pad, permits and planning is required. In King County, the Department of Planning and Environmental Review (DPER) is the permitting department for these infrastructure improvements. Before you begin to maintain, build, grade, or drain, contact DPER for assistance. In the cases of agricultural drainage and farm pads, contact the Department of Natural Resources and Parks (DNRP) to get started and they will assist you in gathering information necessary for DPER permitting. King County supports the farm economy by offering reduced rates for commercial agriculture permits.


Department of Planning and Environmental Review (DPER)

One-On-One Assistance is available at no-cost. The Permitting Department's permit center offers a full range of technical support to customers. Go to the Permitting Department in Snoqualmie to sign up for walk-in assistance, or call the Permitting Department's customer service line at 206-296-6600 for basic information about the Permitting Department or the permit application submittal process, to request application materials, or to be directed to a particular staff member or review discipline.

Department of Natural Resources and Parks (DNRP)

Agricultural Drainage Assistance Program (ADAP)
Do you have an agricultural field with poor drainage? ADAP helps agricultural property owners improve drainage of their agricultural lands by providing both technical and financial assistance.

Sea Breeze Bacon George
George Page with his Sea Breeze Farm bacon. - Photo: Zachary D. Lyons

Farm Pad Program

King Conservation District

Agricultural Drainage Program
The King Conservation District (KCD) is developing a comprehensive set of services to assist landowners with maintaining and improving agricultural drainage systems. The program’s aim is to enable more landowners to participate in the King County Agricultural Drainage Assistance Program (ADAP) through a combination of technical assistance and matching grants. In addition, they conducted a county-wide assessment of drainage needs as the basis for future planning. Click on the link below for a preliminary report on the survey: Snoqualmie Valley Agricultural Drainage Survey. The new KCD Agricultural Drainage Program was made possible through a grant from the King County Flood Control District.


DPER Guidance Information

Customer Information Bulletins (complete list at this link; however, links below are relevant to agriculture)

Alphabetical listing

Hmong Flower Stand Fall City
Farm stand in the Snoqualmie Valley - Photo: Zachary D. Lyons


King County’s Agricultural Drainage Assistance Program (ADAP)

back to top