Skip to main content
Farm King County
Permitting Infrastructure

Permits and Regulations

Common agricultural activities such as building a barn or other accessory buildings, maintaining drainage ditches or building a farm pad require King County permits


King County Regulatory and Permitting Assistance

farm structure

The King County Department of Local Services-Permitting Division provides general guidance on when permits are needed

Permitting Division supports the farm economy through reduced permit costs for commercial agriculture and offering free pre-submittal services to review project proposals.

If you still have questions related to regulations for agriculture-related practices or infrastructure, the King County Department of Natural Resource (DNRP) Agricultural Program staff can help with understanding land use regulations and obtaining necessary permits. Contact Eric Beach.

Hmong Flower Stand Fall City
Farm stand in the Snoqualmie Valley - Photo: Zachary D. Lyons

Farm Practices Illustrated

The King County Agriculture Program is working to compile fact sheets about permitting and regulations relevant to farmers and ag landowners. We will be adding to the list of topics over the next few months.

Farmworker Housing - 553 KB PDF

Agricultural Buildings - 720 KB PDF

Agricultural Drainage - 2.32 MB PDF

The King County Department of Natural Resources also offers:

Farm Pad Program
Provides technical support to construct an elevated farm pad to protect livestock, farm machinery and other agricultural equipment and supplies during flooding. The assistance includes engineering advice for construction, preparation of site plans and help with permitting. This program is being reconfigured to better align with Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) guidelines.

Home Elevation Program
Elevating homes involves assisting property owners with the costs of raising the finished floor of a home above the 100-year elevation, substantially reducing the threat of future damage. This allows the residents to remain on the property and preserves existing local housing.

Agricultural Drainage Assistance Program (ADAP)
Provides technical and financial assistance to farmers to improve drainage on their lands. Through an interlocal agreement between County and the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) drainage projects require a single free permit, the Hydraulic Project Approval (HPA) issued by WDFW. Landowners must obtain a farm plan written by King Conservation District (KCD) and then enroll in the program through DNRP Stormwater Services.

Contact Lou Beck P.E.


King County’s Agricultural Drainage Assistance Program (ADAP)

back to top